Monday, August 3, 2009

A Little Bit on Life and Uniten

I noticed that the main idea of my blog posts, particularly those which I posted since I came to Uniten, were pretty scattered and muddled. (I still have this tendency to unconsciously type Uniten as United).

For those of you who do not know what on earth Uniten is, it is the combination of the full name of the institution, Universiti Tenaga Nasional. Uniten is indeed a large university. It has around 3 to 4 lakes (do not ask me whether the lakes house living organisms or many organic matter because nobody knows). Uniten has a few remarkable buildings to name: College of Engineering (COE), College of Information Technology (COIT), The Admin Building (The nicest building in the whole of Uniten, it is also the building featured most on the internet, brochures, adverts etc.), The ITMS Building (Secretly known as the Cyber Cafe, Internet Place etc. amongst students) and the coolest building which happens to be where my classroom is, IKAL (Institute of Liberal Studies). Mind you, all the buildings names are not centred and gathered in one place, they are scattered ALL OVER THE WHOLE CAMPUS, which is very, very, very huge. It is just impossible to walk from my apartment (which is in the campus itself) to COIT, but COE is just a 5mins walk away from my apartment.

How do I get to class, you may ask? I take the shuttle bus, I don't walk. Unless it's a Saturday. By the way, I do have a class on Saturdays. IKAL is also the furthest building from my apartment. There's always one good alternative: Cycle. That's a very eco-friendly idea. But before you even think of cycling here in Uniten, do consider the fact that the campus is not built on a flat ground. Do eat alot before you cycle because it will definitely be arduous to cycle uphill (which you may come across quite often I might say).

One interesting thing that I want to highlight here is that PPOU students generally walk faster than all other students. And we get into class an hour before the lessons start. An there's this common area whereby all student gather before class:- The ChitChat Area, the Newspaper Place, whatever. And there's this class-hopping habit inculcated in us, whereby we visit each other's classes before of after lessons.

I've made a lot of new friends ever since I came here. Let me first start off with my housemates. Shing Huei is my roommate and she's the only Engineering student in our house. She sleeps at 10pm every night, earliest among the four of us and wakes up before everyone. And then there's Yan Yun, who's very quiet, but recently became quite chatty and witty. She loves vegetables so much so that I've to give my portion to her (Just kidding, I didn't like veges so I gave it to her). She's also the only one who eats all the food on her plate! Spotless, I tell you! Last but not least, we have Cindy, who's meant to be with me, but recently we broke up due to some random reason. Cindy is a very nice person, easy to get along with. We generally share the same interest in everything. Except when it comes to boys maybe. She likes boys with big eyes. :) According to my friend, Billy, whom I'll talk about later on, Cindy is the 'hottest' girl in our class, or rather, among us scholars!

Okay, gotta run!

No comments: