Pretence, as most of you may be aware of, is sometimes a very useful defence mechanism (provided that you are a very good liar, of course haha) but it may stir uneasiness and some pain in the butt.
Exaggerated reactions like: OH MY GODDDD!!!!! or HOLY CR*P for tiny matters are really irritating
Just to what extend that we can actually bear with 'pretence'?
I'll shall give you some conspicuous examples which many of you (I believe) will agree with me.
Example 1
A: What did you get for your [any difficult subject] paper?
B: Very low. 80 only. *shows pathetic disappointed expression*
Excuse me miss, 80 for a very difficult paper is considered VERY LOW? Get a life. I'm sorry I've been using "get a life" obsessively nowadays.
Example 2
A: (she gets 68 for the God forsaken EST/Moral paper) See la. This paper will obviously pull down my percentage and this will affect my position in class and then my daddy, mommy, grandpa, grandma, auntie, uncle will kill me! *rants on and on*
Honestly, I shall say..... Try harder next time *flashes an annoying grin*
Example 3
A: Eh, B. Can you please help me with this sum?
B: Oh this one. Very easy only what.
A: I hate this chapter. I've read it over and over and I still can't get it.
B: *innocent tone* That chapter ah? I like lah. To me it's the easiest wor.
Note that I highlight the word very easy. Hello? People ask you to solve a sum and there you go showing off that question is like peanuts to you.
I know the above situations are very familiar to some of you. If you're one of them, I hope you'd get the message and stop showing of your Einsteinette brain and consider other people's feelings. You may get a skyhigh marks but too bad it wasn't up to your expectations, have you ever thought of those who didn't even get half your marks???
2 comments:
Actually, pretence for your stated situations can be used in a good way to be humble...just that you need to use the right phrase and of course, to have the intention to be HUMBLE in the first place!!!
hey Pat! =) I'm chatting with u currently and leaving u a comment at the same time..yes i agree with u that sometimes people can be very hurting when they say that their marks is "very low"..as they term it..they know that we got marks that are lower than them & yet they say that their marks is "so low"..can't they be more aware of the people around them? we have feelings too.. but i've learned how to ignore such pretence and expressions that will make us feel bad..just pretend that u didn't hear..although this may be harder done than said..=).. but dun be brought down by such expressions k?..
Post a Comment